Saturday 10 January 2015

BATTLE OF THE BROWS







Waterproof, long-lasting gel brow products have become so popular over the past year and these two - the Dipbrow Pomade by Anastasia Beverly Hills and Fluidline Brow Gelcreme by MAC have been really popular choices.

First I'll review the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade. Anastasia Beverly Hills is very famous for its brow products including its Brow Wiz pencil, brow powders and brow gels. So when they came out with this product, it wasn't a surprise that it became so popular. The product was available in 5 shades, however I believe another 5 shades have been released recently. It retails for ~$18USD and can be purchased from Anastasiabeverlyhills.com, Beautybay.com, Urbanoutfitters.com and possibly other online stores (prices will differ between websites).

The consistency of this product is thick and creamy, the colour is very opaque and a little goes a long way. Applying it with an angled brush gives the best results in my experience, and makes it easy to control. I use the colour Medium Brown and it works really well for me even though I have jet black hair. When I looked at swatches online I couldn't really tell the difference between Medium Brown and Dark Brown.

I've been using both products for about 4-5 months now and I've noticed that the Dipbrow Pomade has become drier than when I first got it. In the picture below, you can see that sometimes when I dip my brush into the product, a big chunk comes off onto my brush. The product itself works really great on brow hairs, but I find that it applies a little bit unevenly on skin. I do like it though because I have thick brows so I don't need to draw on my skin much, I mainly just fill my brows in.

PROS - large shade range, comes with more product, great for filling in brows, cheaper than MAC
CONS - doesn't apply evenly to skin, can only purchase online










Next up is the MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme. It can be purchased from MAC stores, MAC counters and online from their website. The product is available in 3 shades - Redhead, Dirty Blonde and Deep Dark Brunette, and retails for $32AUD.

The consistency of this product is similar to a mousse. If I had to compare, I would say the Dipbrow Pomade is like a block of butter while the MAC Brow Gelcreme is like a tub of margarine (weird analogy, I know). It's very soft and applies evenly on both brow hairs and skin. Like the Dipbrow Pomade, it's very pigmented and a little goes a long way, and it blends out really easily because of it's consistency. I use the Anastasia #12 brush with both products and it applies very evenly and the brush is easy to clean.

The only but biggest downfall is the product's shade range. I use the shade Deep Dark Brunette and although it appears more warm-toned than the Dipbrow Pomade, it still works well for my black hair.

PROS - applies evenly, softer consistency, readily available at MAC
CONS - only comes in 3 shades, more expensive


Top: Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade in Medium Brown
Bottom: MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme in Deep Dark Brunette

Overall I love both of these products, however I do prefer the MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme. If you can get the colour work for you I would highly highly recommend it, if not then the Anastasia Dipbrow is still a really good product.

4 comments:

  1. I notice my dip brow is very dry too! Especially the newer shades. My medium brown was SO dry when I first got it, compared to Blonde (first dip brow I owned).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using it less and less these days because it's getting more dry :(

      Delete
  2. I love my dip brow, but definitely not a grab and go kind of product. Seems like you need to have a special technique to get it right! I try and warm up the product a little by blowing some warm air. Similar to how you can warm concealer between your fingers before application, definitely makes a world of difference.

    Also, with my brush rather than dipping it into the dip brow (ironic) I make a sweeping motion with the brush across the surface. Stops me taking chucks from the product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I really am not sure which one to use because i want my brows to look natural but also full and thick and because i am asian i don't want a colour that is too brown or reddy brown which i read that the Mac Deep Dark Brown is a bit red. I need help!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete